I make lists.
I have my Things to do today list, my Let's get it done by the end of the week list, my I'll get around to it sometime list, my Get the property ready for winter list, etc.
I find comfort in making lists. I don't have to remember things; they're all on a list. I just have to remember where I've left my lists.
A few months back I ran into a former colleague and her husband. After a bit of small talk she said, "Give us a call. We'll get together for a coffee."
Now at that point I could have said, That's a good idea (no commitment there) or Sounds like a plan (still no commitment), instead I said, "I like that. I'll be in touch." That was a commitment – it made the list. It will remain on the list until done.
Our paths crossed last week. I said, "I haven't forgotten the plan to get together for coffee. It's on my To-Do list." She replied, "You need to move it from your To-Do list to your Want-to-Do list?
This got me thinking.
Many of the things on my list are Need-to-Dos (stain deck, mow lawns, cut brush, pick up groceries, oil changes, etc).
Many others are Nice-to-Dos (visit nursing home, shop for a gift, give blood, etc).
Theses are things that will be done, but not because I enjoy doing them. I'm more interested in the outcome, and I take pleasure in that, but not necessarily in the process.
Here's my salute of the day:
May all of your to-dos be want-to-dos
Follow W5education.wordpress.com for stories every Friday
No comments:
Post a Comment